Saturday, January 12, 2008

My family came to visit!

After many hours of travel, my family arrived in the DR around noon on New Year's Day. The following week-long visit was wonderful, and certainly a new experience for me in travel, translating, and cooking. In short, I think the week can be summed up in these terms: adventures with seafood, beautiful sites, and public transport. Here's a brief photo-journal of some of our activities:
On the first full day, my mother insisted on buying these live crabs from a man off the side of the highway. The next day, my Dominican sister Jayza reported having heard screams from the conference center where we were staying the night before. I told her not to worry, it was my sisters and me wrestling twelve feisty Dominican crabs into a pot to rinse, two other pots to sit, and then into boiling water (believe me, they didn't like that). Simply terrifying and hysterical. Let me just put it this way: Dreams of crab pinchers creeping over pot-rims and pots rocking on the counter of their own accord haunted me for days.
We took a day to visit the Colonial City that Christopher Columbus built upon his arrival here. This is a view of one of the defense forts used to protect the mouth of the river.


This is the oldest cathedral still in use in the New World.
(By the way, this square is one of my favorite places in the country.)


Inside

During a day at the beach:
My mother proudly cradles the eight-pound fish she just bought off a fisherman in the bay

Later, the fish makes another appearance

We opted to spend our last day together back at the beach, looking for sea urchins.

It was wonderful to have my family here, and I invite them to share some memories in the comments section of this entry! Some of the highlights for me include backrubs from my mom, sharing lime slushies with my sisters, seeing my dad ride the little public van/buses, introducing my family to my friends and co-workers, and meanwhile watching everyone try to speak Spanish. What a great time!

Now, I'm about to move to a nearby town to help out in a nursing home there. Though I don't know what internet access will be like there, I'll do my best to keep all of you updated!

Happy New Year!!

3 comments:

Matthew Kellen said...

Kate, it sounds like you had a great holiday. I can't believe we are closing in on 6 months. The time has flown, and been incredibly slow at points. Anyways, I haven't been good at keeping in touch, but it is good to see you are well. My blogsite sucks, but Jesse did a great job of doing a day to day, minute to minute of our trip to see John Simpson in Uganda.

Jesse Zink said...

Ah, Matt, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself.

I love all the pictures Kate and stories. Good luck with your move - I'll look forward to hearing about your new surroundings when you're settled.

-Jesse

Sharon said...

Hi, all - this is "Mom" of the last blog.... (Who gave that girl permission to publish my photo all over the internet, anyway?? jk) Yes, the fish was very tasty, and one thing I learned in the DR is, don't point at ANYthing you do not want to purchase! Jim began saying to me, when we were out, "Don't point and exclaim how beautiful, Dear - just whisper it quietly in my ear...I care deeply, and I want to hear all about it...walk along quietly now, while I hold both of your hands..."
On a more real note, I'll just say that it was a genuine privilege to visit the people and place where Kate's been serving. We were very moved to become acquainted with the fine work of the clinic, and to join, even temporarily, the community of San Esteban church, and the diocese. The welcome to us was so warm, and we certainly know that Kate has also been taken in as a family member there. We look forward to learning more about the placements she'll be in for the remainder of her service time as well.
To all of you other YASC'ers, keep up the good work! You are not only a gift to those you serve, but also an inspiration to all of us here in the U.S. If there are days when your energy lags, try to picture hundreds of us at home, lovingly cheering you on. Your year will be completed before you know it, and you will always know that you made a real difference in the larger world.