Monday, December 10, 2007

House-Keeping

I wrote the entry below yesterday, meaning to add more today and send out an update email. There's still plenty of things to say! Unfortunately, I got a fever last night that is persisting through today (not too high - don't worry), and I am taking it easy between chills, sweats, and ibuprofen. (There appear to be no blankets for miles around, so I have all my extra sheets and my bath-towels stacked up on my bed to substitute hahaha.)

You know, I thought I might be homesick if I got sick during this year overseas, but it's not all that bad. My family here checks up on me, and my colleagues called as soon as they found out to order me to rest and to come see our unit's doctor tomorrow if the fever keeps up. They've promised to call back this afternoon to check on me again. To me, these are real signs of membership/acceptance in this community. I have real friends who care about my well-being! Yay! Also on the plus side, I may be better able to face a cold shower with a fever....

And now a quick note about mail: I will be moving to a new city in about a month to start work on a different project here in the DR. To those of you who were/are planning to send mail, it can take three or four weeks to get here, even under the 7-10 day airmail plan. (Sometimes it takes less, sometimes not.) So, now's the time to get a-mailin'. And remember if you're sending bulky things to use the small, green Customs Declaration - CN 22 form (must be less than four pounds). My address is in the right-hand column of this page.

And that's it for now! I'm going to go try to take a nap. Have a good week!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kate!.

I had a lot of catching up reading to do. Sounds like there are so many new things everyday, and that you tackle them like a pro, with caring heart and compassionate mind. It's awesome.
I am also having new experiences in a very American upper middle class sort of way :) Here in the jungles of Michigan, I found out, yesterday, that I got into grad school...at University of Michigan. Pretty cool. It is freezing outside, right around 3o to 33 degrees, so lot's of freezing rain, people biting it all over the place, I'm one of the few people I know who haven't taken a spill yet, and of course finals are consuming time like a whale consumes krill, (that's how us music majors do analogies).
Anyway, I hope that you continue to write these awesome letters/blog/notes and pictures.

Cool.

Ryan

RFWfergie@gmail.com said...

Kate, I love your letters...and please get well soon! Congrats to Ryan getting into U. of Michigan! I am in Ann Arbor this weekend, casting a play that I will direct next semester with the students. I am loving being a part of the theatre department and getting to know the kids...and daughter Maggie is in the show!
Merry Christmas,
Priscilla

Sharon said...

Getting sick away from "home"...and then discovering you have another home - just different. That's GOOD! Imagine me there stirring a glass of water with EmergenC in it... and loading wool blankets on top of you! xoxo Mom