Saturday, July 14, 2007

Getting ready


Welcome! You've reached the website where I will share reflections, stories, and pictures from my upcoming year as a member of the Young Adult Service Corps (YASC) in the Dominican Republic. My service work will be in healthcare in several communities along the southern coast of the country - working in an AIDS/HIV clinic, a public health program, a residential home for the elderly, and a new clinic along the Haitian border. I'll be learning Spanish, teaching music, working with kids, and (probably) living with a family while I'm there; I can't wait to get started!

Fundraising update: I have reached my fundraising goal and will soon be on my way. Thanks to all for your support and generosity!

I leave for the city of San Pedro de Macoris in the Dominican Republic the morning of Saturday, July 21st (That's one week from today!). I started work on the logistics for leaving several weeks ago and now, after many To-Do Lists, am feeling ready to depart. For those who asked: I do not yet have a mailing address in the Dominican Republic (which I think I'll start calling the DR for short). If you'd like to know the address when available, just send me an email.

There is some internet access in San Pedro, so I will be reachable via email. (This site doesn't show my email address, but you can find it on my fundraising letter or you can feel free to contact my family.) This website will also be updated regularly. If you'd like to receive an email whenever this site is updated, please send me an email (or click on the "comment" option below this posting and type a comment) and include your email address.

To close, a word about the title of this site: Saludos! "Saludos" means "greetings!" in Spanish, so the direct translation of the title is "Greetings from Kate!" Something I like especially about sharing this greeting in Spanish is that the first part of the word, "salud," is the Spanish word for "health." I like to think of "Saludos!" as both greeting and a wish for good health. In one week, I will embark on a new adventure in service, love, and grace. To my Dominican hosts and to my supporters at home: Saludos!

9 comments:

Deb said...

Wow wow and wow, Kate. the little girl I carried on my shoulders around a small lake in Southern Indiana who insisted we leave crumbs on the path so as not to lose our way now is finding her self to and through the DR! I'm so proud of you. xo, Deb

kaya said...

kate, you most definitely did not type my email address right when you emailed me this since i had to find my own way, however this is an excellently-crafted first blog post. i will religiously check your blog which, incidentally, has a very clever title. so clever.

Audrey said...

oh good times indeed.

David Copley said...

Have a safe trip, I look forward to following your journey!
Blessings David

Julie said...

i love the blog title...and i would also love to receive updates. so, because i think you originally mis-typed my email, my email address is jsmith10@cmc.edu

have fun!

Stephen said...

This is exciting. Look forward to hearing more!

Unknown said...

oh Lemmy, leaving us for a whole year. the duke diaspora will miss you. collectively.

Marian said...

Hey Kate! I talked with David Copley this morning and he told me you'd made it to the DR. Congrats! I'm leaving for Ecuador tomorrow and I'm terribly excited and pretty fucking nervous. I can't wait to begin this adventure! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods and I look forward to reading about your experiences. I miss you . . . I hope we're able to spend a piece of our 4 week vacation together. Take care. peace, Marian

Aunt Carol said...

Hi Katie----probably only grandmas and aunts call you that now---I'm thrilled to be able to follow your adventures via your blog--and my granddaughter who's pursuing pre-med in Indy might also be interested in reading your experiences. What opportunities we all have open to us in this "brave new world"! Aunt Carol