Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Arrival

Saludos de la Republica Dominicana! I have arrived - safe and sound - in the Dominican Republic! My bags followed me only a few days after (missing two zippers, one lock, and with some damage) and I am now in fresh clothes, a good feeling. I understand that it's a small miracle that my bags took only a few days to get here, and estoy muy agradecida - I am very grateful.

Currently, I am staying with the family of the assistant priest of the Episcopal parish nearest the clinic, San Esteban. In many ways, I am very lucky, with shower access, my own room, screens on the windows, and, since Father Guelmy happens to be a computer whiz, very fast wireless internet access! Father Guelmy, his wife and daughter, are all welcoming, though we struggle to communicate sometimes. Humor is the best way to cope I think - we all laughed yesterday when I asked if I could please help the phone, instead of use it....

Yesterday, I was given a tour of La Clinica Esperanza y Caridad (Clinic of Hope and Charity), a building converted from an old school. Dr. Dohn showed me the new lab, a small, kitchen-type room with one microscope and a dorm-room-size fridge as its main attractions. We saw the laundry - the single washer and the "dryer," as Dr. Dohn calls the open courtyard where line after line of sheets and towels hang. One overstretched generator powers this entire compound, including the church, the clinic, two priests' homes and the conference center. We lose power frequently, but not for very long. I saw a new wall and fresh hallway paint donated by an American charity. One staff member said, "It almost looks too nice; we might lose funding." In many ways, the clinic is so different from a healthcare building in the States, it's beyond description. However, many things are familiar and inspiring: a dedicated and friendly staff, hopeful families waiting in the hallway - and evidence of everyone trying his hardest. I look forward to joining this community in the coming year.

This afternoon, Dr. Dohn and I will travel to a city neighborhood not far from the clinic to continue the clinic's community health census. Though it is not geographically far, few of the city's services reach this neighborhood, and there is little access to clean water. We will ask questions about family size, access to/uses of water, and frequency of illness. I saw some of the neighborhood yesterday, and will have to save description for another post since it will take some space. I'm excited to take part in this important work, but am a little nervous about what I might see.

So that's it for now! Thank you all so much for your support - both for the financial contributions and the wonderful farewell messages - I appreciate it more than I can say. And now, I say goodbye with a few random thoughts: It is so hot here; the food is wonderful; it's incredibly loud at night; and verb conjugation is very important in Spanish. Adios for now!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You go girl! This is so exciting. I'm looking forward to your postings.

By the way, why is it loud at night?

Aunt Top-of-the-Heap

kaya said...

i'm glad the food is wonderful! and wireless internet is wildly exciting. this means i'll be expecting you to email me pictures, of course.

yay kate!

Audrey said...

yeah, i second that. i expect detailed emails and regular skype calls, k? I miss you. keep yourself safe and GOOD LUCK with Spanish. MWAH!

Matthew Kellen said...

It is awesome to hear you've made it safely. Keep well.

Matt Kellen