Saturday, April 5, 2008

Jose Update



Remember Jose? (You can see my September entry about this struggling baby here: http://saludosdekate.blogspot.com/2007/09/two-patient-stories.html) Look at how much better he's doing six months later!


Near-death six months ago, Jose has just turned a year old and he is alert, interactive, and starting to stand. He smiles and claps and reaches and does all kinds of things that are especially encouraging to those of us who met him last September. He is a beloved patient, and we are always excited to see him. He´s still on the small side, weighing about 16 pounds and he´s frequently in the clinic for persistent respiratory and appetite problems, but we´re rooting for him and believe he´ll continue to improve.

I thought this was going be a lengthy, somewhat ¨deep¨post, but really I think I can sum up what I want to say this way: There is nothing like working with a person over a period of months and watching his health improve. I certainly wasn´t Jose´s doctor or anything, but I weighed him, filled his meds and formula, listened to and relayed his parent-figure´s concerns, and just spent some time every week hanging out. And without even realizing it was happening, I got invested! And now every time I see him, I get this bubbly happy feeling inside because he´s holding his head up and smiling. Perhaps cliché, but certainly amazing.

I am thankful for: dedicated healthcare providers, generous neighbors, food donations, anti-retroviral medicines, charitable funds, donated baby bottles, HIV research, and so many other things that make Jose´s care possible. And thank you all for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers.

This really is just unbelievably wonderful.

2 comments:

kazoodoc said...

Well Kate, that's what it's like to be in primary care. Just remember that when you start to feel sucked into doing a subspecialty..............
Best
Jan
p.s. did you hear that Sarah and Lucas are getting married next June? (2009)

Jesse Zink said...

Hi Kate,

I really like this story and can think of several similar stories with people here. Today, I learned the son of one of my high-school students had just learned to walk and it was neat to be part of that news.

Now the challenge is to get all the other children like Jose the same kind of care he got.

-Jesse