Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Jarabacoa: the adventures continue...

This past long-weekend I went back up to the mountains in Jarabacoa with another woman from the clinic to do some more adventuring. And it was quite the adventure: Several different buses broke down during the weekend; I got on a horse for the third time in my life and ended up on a 20-minute gallop through the country-side with no real saddle and some bumps into trees and fences; I got on a river-raft for the second time in my life - we capsized in a rapid called The Toilet. (I spent a short time floating down-river, but luckily we were all fine.) But perhaps the best adventure came in the form of Manuel and Estrilo, two six-year-old cousins who were daring each other to get closer and closer to our cabin while I was reading. I went out to say hello and the boys and I became fast friends. The next day, more kids showed up at the camp. All of them are very familiar with digital cameras and very excited about photo-shoots. So here are some of our best shots:


Estrilo and Manuel

Part of the group (That fruit that everyone keeps eating is called guayava and is sort of like the Dominican apple)

Girls only!


Muchachos

Group cart-wheel attempt

Group shot

There are several other shots of eating cookies, climbing trees, swinging, and all that good stuff. These kids are enthusiastic about everything and great Spanish teachers! I had an amazing time riding horses, swimming in waterfalls, and rafting this weekend, but sometimes nothing beats some good old-fashioned hangin' around with the kids!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh katie, its good to see your face. i know you're fine as long as you have babies and kids to take care of and play with. i miss you and love you and i'm sooooo very proud of you!!!!

Carol Nolan said...

Kate---love to read your blog entries. I'm your mother's Aunt Carol(in case you don't recognize the name) You are having some life-changing adventures!! Thanks for letting us participate with you vicariously. Love and prayers always!!

Carol Nolan said...

Kate---love to read your blog entries. I'm your mother's Aunt Carol(in case you don't recognize the name) You are having some life-changing adventures!! Thanks for letting us participate with you vicariously. Love and prayers always!!