Friday, August 31, 2007

On the Fly




Hi everyone! I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while - and that this update must be short and business-like.

House-keeping:
Some people have said that they are not getting the update emails I send out. It seems that the mass emails (at least for people using gmail) are sometimes getting directed to the Spam box, instead of the regular inbox. If you have not been receiving update emails with a link to this log, and suspect you should be, try checking your trash or spam boxes. You should be able to approve my emails and receive them in your regular inbox. If that still doesn't work, just let me know and I'll double-check that your email is included in the list.
Also, in response to some emails: I'm sad to admit that I don't know how the boy from the last entry was rescued. I just saw the aftermath. Sorry to leave you with such a mystery!

I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for your notes, emails, blog comments, etc. Even if it seems I am uninterested (or I don't reply quickly, etc.), I am so thankful for these communications from home. I'm starting to feel more and more settled here, but it's lovely to have some connection back home, too.

The last two weeks have been busy and engaging. We continue to work on our Health Promoters program in the clinic and it's picking up speed! I am currently running out the door to go to a retreat weekend up in the mountains for people ages 20-35. It's supposed to be cool and beautiful, with waterfalls, hiking, and horse-back riding at the diocesan camp. It should be a good chance to get to know people my age. But - I'll be honest - I'm sort of nervous. At home, meeting new people, making friends, and visiting new places are all pretty easy for me. But here, where I stand out and it's a struggle to communicate, that stuff takes a lot more work. It still surprises me how much mental preparation I have to do to feel ready for any event outside of the clinic. So, this weekend is me taking a deep breath and plunging in. It will be beautiful and a chance to see and do things I've never done before (and a great way to practice Spanish!), but it's still work and effort. I'm looking forward to that great feeling of accomplishment that comes only after trying something new and intimidating! I know going to this retreat is certainly not something I will regret. Here I go!

So, I will be sure to update you all with stories and pictures from the weekend. And, lest that last paragraph make you worry, let me assure you that I'm happily settling in and enjoying this adventurous year. In fact, there's a lot of things about settling in that make me inordinately happy. Some examples from this week include correct usage of the subjunctive and the word "Supongo," successful washing and line-drying of my clothes and sheets, and an invitation from my co-worker, Ana, to hang out next weekend! I go ahead and let myself be pretty thrilled with these small events - life is good! So now I'll close with a description of the pictures (above) from last Sunday, when the whole church went to the other side of the country for a day at a stunning beach. I was nervous about that day too, but came through it with new acquaintances (and a slight sunburn): a success to be sure.

[For some reason, I can't get the pictures to appear anywhere but on the top of my entry.... It doesn't help that this entire site is also in Spanish now that I'm in a Spanish network. Oh, well. Any advice is welcome.]

Love to all! Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

7 comments:

Audrey said...

KILLY!! go for it this weekend. I have the utmost confidence in you and regardless of spanish speaking unease, your ability to communicate in any way you can. including moving your arms around wildly and gesticulating with your left hand. ;)

anyhoo, happy early birthday!!! woo!! you are SO OLD!

i miss you.

love,
me

David Copley said...

Tenga un buen viaje esta fin de semana.
David

kaya said...

have fun this weekend! happy day before your birthday!

oh and also, if you click the "edit html" tab instead of the "compose" tab in the blog after you've added the pictures, the picture will show up as a whole bunch of code and you can just copy and paste it to wherever you want and delete it from the top. there's probably an easier way to do this, but i haven't figured out how...

:-D

Unknown said...

You rock. And you're a good writer, which makes reading your entries very fun. Continue doing the awesome things you do. Inspiring (sp?), that's what it is.

Awesome

Ryan B.

Unknown said...

You rock. And you're a good writer, which makes reading your entries very fun. Continue doing the awesome things you do. Inspiring (sp?), that's what it is.

Awesome

Ryan B.

FaithPerrizo said...

Kate, Sorry it's taken so long to say "hi". I was swamped when I returned! I got some nice pictures, but I see your pictures are terrific! If I can figure out how to sent the one with Daisy and Santa in the clinic and the one with the physical therapy staff, I'll do it.

Hope your retreat weekend went well!

Peace, Faith Perrizo

Jesse Zink said...

Hi Kate,

Thanks for another great post. Try clicking and dragging the pictures to where you want them in the post. Or highlight them, copy them, and paste 'em where you want 'em. Annoying but works for me.

-Jesse